Canyons Runs Well at Pasadena Relays
By Mari Kneisel/COC Sports Information
PASADENA — College of the Canyons competed at the annual Pasadena City College Relays on Friday in another non-conference meet.
Canyons put forth a men's and women's 4x100 relay team and men's 4x400 relay team, all producing personal bests on the season.
The women's team consisting of Rebekah Brooks, Brittany Kurfurst, Sabine Yalung, and Lauryn Bailey took first (53.20) over the team fielded by host Pasadena. Coincidently, all four members of the relay squad also played together on the college's conference champion women's soccer team last fall.
Joshua Christopher, Kory Bacon, Simon Sampson, and Tylyn Cook represented the men's 4x100 (43.24) placing third. The 4x400 which also took third (3:28.24) was nearly the same, with Tavious Jenkins running the second leg instead.
Cook and Sampson were also active for the Cougars in individual events. Both turned in a personal best time of 11.08 in the 100m. They then placed 12th and 13th, respectively, in the field of 41. Cook also produced a personal best in the 200m (22.35) taking eighth out of 37.
Christopher and Jenkins took part in the 400m placing third (49.87) and fourth (52.76).
Felix Brietbach also placed fourth in the 800m (2:06.85).
On the women's side, Milca Osorio took first the 3000m (11.23.73) and third in the 1500m (5:05.18). She was followed by Sarah Zamudio (6:01.23) in seventh. Zumadio also took third in the 3000m (13:41.13).
Simone Barries produced a personal best in the 100h taking fourth (17.84) in the heat of five.
Brooks claimed third in the 400m (1:01.88) with Bailey was seventh (1:09.43). A time of 13.90 placed Kurfurst 10th out of 21 in the 100m (13.9).
Full meet results can be found here.
Canyons Top Performers (W)
- Milca Osorio – 1st place, 3000m (11:23.73); 3rd place, 1500m (5:05.18)
- Rebekah Brooks – 3rd place, 400m (1:01.88)
- Sarah Zamudio – 3rd place, 3000m (13:41.13); 7th place, 1500m (6:01.23)
- Simone Barries – 4th place, 100h (17.84)
- 4x100 Relay – 1st place – The combination of Books, Kurfurst, Yalung, and Bailey
Canyons Top Performers (M)
- Tylyn Cook – 8th place, 200m (22.35); 12th place, 100m (11.08)
- Simon Sampson – 10th place, 200m (22.81); 13th place, 100m (11.08)
- Joshua Christopher – 3rd place, 400m (49.87)
- Felix Brietbach – 4th place, 800m (2:06.85)
- 4x100 Relay – 3rd place - The combination of Christopher, Kory Bacon, Sampson and Cook posted a time of 43.24.
- 4x400 Relay – 3rd place - The combination of Christopher, Jenkins, Cook and Sampson posted a time of 3:28.24.
The Cougars will be back on the track Friday, April 1 for an away conference meet with No. 2 Bakersfield College. COC then travels to Mt. San Antonio College for the annual Mt. SAC Relay event Saturday, April 9 with a to-be-determined start time.
—Photo by Lindie Kane/COC Track & Field