By Jesse Muñoz/COC Sports Information Director
The College of the Canyons football program had 11 players named to the 2017 Southern California Football Association (SCFA) Scholar-Athlete Team.
To be eligible for inclusion on the SCFA Scholar-Athlete Team players must participate on their respective school's football team for two seasons, while successfully completing a minimum of 36 units. At least 27 units must be in academic courses (non-PE or collegiate sport activity). Scholar-Athlete team honorees must also achieve a GPA of at least 3.0.
"We could not be more proud of our SCFA Scholar-Athlete honorees," said COC head coach Ted Iacenda. "These young men have dedicated hours of hard work to their studies and understand that the true purpose of College of the Canyons football is for student-athletes to pursue both their academic and athletic goals."
Representing College of the Canyons on the 2017 SCFA Scholar-Athlete Team are:
- Travis Bird, Offensive Line — 3.61 GPA
- Austin Davenport, Linebacker — 3.50 GPA
- Louis Eusebi, Kicker — 3.30 GPA
- DeAndre Henderson, Defensive Back — 3.40 GPA
- Noel Iwuchukwu, Defensive End — 3.35 GPA
- Hidetaka Kanazawa, Safety/Long Snapper — 4.0 GPA
- Ethan Lazarek, Wide Receiver — 3.60 GPA
- Kjell Perry, Linebacker — 3.37 GPA
- Alonso Reeves, Linebacker — 3.16 GPA
- Travis Reiner, Punter — 3.50 GPA
- Hunter Schuessler, Tight End— 3.53 GPA
Additionally, Bird, Iwuchukwu, Reeves, Reiner and Schuessler were each named to the All-SCFA Team for their efforts on the playing field.
A full list of 2017 SCFA Scholar-Athlete Team honorees is here.
"At College of the Canyons, academic support and achievement are the core tenets of our football program," said Iacenda. "We stress that winning on and off of the field are of equal importance.
The Cougars finished the 2017 campaign with an overall record of 9-2 and 4-1 mark in conference play. After narrowly missing out on a trip to the state playoffs, COC defeated Mt. SAC 28-16 in the Western State Bowl.
Stay up to date on all this season's action by following the College of the Canyons Athletic department on social media at @COCathletics on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube.