Canyons Wins Third Straight Conference Event
By Jesse Muñoz/COC Sports Information Director
Cheng's score represented the freshman's best finish of the season and tied him with teammate Amsallem, Evan Colburn (Ventura) and John Dearth (Citrus) for the tourney's No. 2 spot. Thomas Dyfour (Glendale) was the event medalist.
Ventura College (385) was second, just one stroke ahead of third-place Glendale (386).
Tourney host Santa Barbara City College (405) was fourth followed by Bakersfield (408), Citrus (415), Allan Hancock (422) and Antelope Valley College (441).
Amsallem has now finished as medalist or runner-up in all three Western State Conference (WSC) events. Cheng preceded his runner-up status with a fourth-place individual finish a week ago in Ventura and a third-place result at the conference opener on Feb. 7.
Hansen tied for sixth overall with a score of 74 and was followed closely by Noe Del Campo who was next in eighth place with a round of 75.
Canyons will have a small break from WSC play, next competing in the Riverside Invitational on Monday, Feb. 28. Action is scheduled to get underway at 10 a.m. from Victoria Country Club.
1. Canyons (373) 2. Ventura (385) 3. Glendale (386) 4. SBCC (405) 5. Bakersfield (408) 6. Citrus (415) 7. Allan Hancock (422) 8. Antelope Valley (441)
FIELD INDIVIDUAL STANDINGS (TOP-15)
1. 72 — Thomas Dufour (GCC)
6. 74 — Magnus Hansen (COC); Nate Frink (GCC)
8. 75 — Noe Del Campo(COC); Jack Wellenkamp(AHC); Steen Zeman(VC); Nick Burns (VC)
12. 76 — Ryan Gay (SBCC)
13. 77 — Derrick Rossmango (AVC); Blake Keesey (BC)
15. 78 — Kieran Bye (COC); Cortez Herrera (Citrus); Baker Jones (AHC); Calem Rodriguez (SBCC)
—Photo by Mari Kneisel/COC Sports Information