Canyons Men's Golf Wins Another WSC Event
By Jesse Muñoz/COC Sports Information Director
GLENDALE — All six Cougars starters finished in the top-12 of the individual field as College of the Canyons stayed undefeated in conference play with a four-stroke victory over runner-up Santa Barbara City College at Oakmont Country Club on Monday.
Canyons has won four straight Western State Conference (WSC) events on the year. On Monday, the Cougars carded a five-man score of 402 to edge SBCC at 406. Ventura College was also in the mix at 410, good for third place. Glendale (432), Bakersfield (437), Citrus (459) and Antelope Valley (502) rounded out the back half of the field.
De Luca's round of 78 tied with Steve Zeman of Ventura College for third place. Caleb Rodriguez of SBCC was the medalist at 76 followed by teammate Ryan Gay at 77 in the second place spot.
Braden Threlkeld, one week removed from medalist honors at the Riverside Invitational, finished three back of the lead in fifth overall at 79. Noe Del Campo shared a similar fate, ending his day at 80 and tying for sixth place.
Magnus Hansen tied for 10th overall with a round of 82. Hugo Amsallem and Leo Cheng both reported to the clubhouse with rounds of 83, with only one counting towards the final Cougar tally. That total tied for 12th overall.
Canyons next competes at the WSC event hosted by Antelope Valley College on Monday, March 14 at Antelope Valley Country Club.
1. Canyons (402) 2. SBCC (406) 3. Ventura (410) 4. Glendale (432) 5. Bakersfield (437) 6. Citrus (459) 7. Antelope Valley (502)
FIELD INDIVIDUAL STANDINGS (TOP-15)
1. 76 — Caleb Rodriguez (SBCC)
2. 77 — Ryan Gay (SBCC)
3. 78 — Dom De Luca (COC); Steen Zeman (VC)
5. 79 — Braden Threlkeld (COC)
6. 80 — Noe Del Campo (COC); Kevin Keinlen (GCC)
8. 81 — Thomas DuFour (GCC); Nick Burns (VC)
10. 82 — Magnus Hansen (COC); Zack Garboski (VC)
12. 83 — Hugo Amsallem (COC); Leo Cheng (COC); Evan Colburn (VC); John Dearth (CIT); Diego Pallandino (SBCC)
Stay up to date on all this season's action by following the College of the Canyons Athletic department on social media at @COCathletics on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube.
—Photo by Mari Kneisel/COC Sports Information