Cougars Track & Field Squads Land Third at WSC Inland Meet
By Mari Kneisel/COC Sports Information
BAKERSFIELD — The College of the Canyons men's and women's track & field teams both placed third in the team standings at the Western State Conference (WSC) Inland Meet hosted by Bakersfield College on Friday.
COC men's team finished with 122 event points and the women's team 58 points, both finishing third in the team standings.
Of the 58 points, COC freshman Milca Osorio claimed 20 competing in four different events. Osorio placed first in the 3000m (11:07.75), third in the 1500m (5:02.34), fourth in the 800m (2:37.11) and led her team to second place from the anchor position in the 4x400m relay (4:22.48).
Trinity Winslow claimed a first-place finish in the 100h (17.86) and second place in the 400h (1:14.75).
Brooks and Kurfurst represented the Cougars in the 100m with Brooks taking fourth (13.50) and Kurfurst taking sixth (14.20).
The 4x400 relay team consisting of Buck Layne, Matthew Ballentine, Christopher and Jenkins followed in suit taking first place with a time of 3:27.92.
Bacon, Sampson and Semaj Freeman took first (11.19), second (11.21) and third (11.23) in the 100m.
Jumping his best of the season, Layne placed first in the long jump event (6.87 / 22' 6.5').
Layne claimed a total of 32 points for the Cougars also competing in the triple jump event (12.92m / 42' 4.75") and the 400m (50.33), placing third in both events. Christopher took first in the 400m (49.50).
The Cougars saw two first-place finishes from Ballentine in the javelin throw (49.24m / 161' 6") and the 110h (17.50).
Phillip Vizmanos represented the Cougars in the pole vault event (3.50m / 11' 5.75") taking second place.
Bakersfield's men's team took first place (154.5) followed by Glendale College (130), COC (122), Santa Monica College (71.5) and Antelope Valley College (50).
The Renegades's women's team also claimed first (158.5) followed by AVC (106), COC (58), Glendale (55.5) and SMC (8).
Top Performers (W)
- Milca Osorio – 1st place, 3000m (11:07.75); 3rd place, 1500m (5:02.34); 4th place, 800m (2:37.11)
- Trinity Winslow – 1st place, 110H (17.86); 2nd place, 400h (1:14.43)
- Rebekah Brooks – 4th place, 100m (13.50)
- Sabine Yalung – 6th place, 400m (1:10.33)
- 4x100 Relay – 3rd place – The combination of Bailey, Brooks, Kurfurst and Yalung posted a time of 52.64.
Top Performers (M)
- Buck Layne – 1st place, LJ (6.87/22'6.5'); 3rd place, TJ (12.92m / 42'4.75); 3rd place, 400m (50.33)
- Matthew Ballentine – 1st place, 110h (17.50); 1st place, JT (49.24m/161'6"); 6th place, HJ (1.60m/5'3"); 5th place, PV (2.90m/9'6.25"); 8th place, SP (10.10m/33'1.75")
- Kory Bacon – 1st place, 100m (11.19); 3rd place, 200m (23.42)
- Simon Sampson – 2nd place, 100m (11.21); 2nd place, 200m (23.10)
- 4x100 Relay Team – 1st place – The combination of Christopher, Bacon, Cook and Freeman posted a time of 42.96
The Cougars are set to compete in the Mt. SAC Relays at Mount San Antonio College on Saturday, April 9 and will continue their conference competition Friday, April 22 at home for the Western State Conference (WSC) Prelims at Cougar Stadium.