Canyons Women’s Tennis Remains on Top, Wins Ninth Straight
Story and photo by Mari Kneisel/COC Sports Information
College of the Canyons edged Ventura College in a 5-4 victory to extend its winning streak to nine and keep an undefeated claim on the Western State Conference (WSC).
Canyons (10-2, 9-0) went 2-for-3 in doubles. Cougars' duo Ashley Villarta and Lexi Paunovic dueled Hannah Dever and Victoria Zegers of Ventura College (4-5, 3-5) for a respectable 9-7 doubles victory. A doubles win from duo Lauren Hannah and Jennifer Russell put the Cougars ahead 2-1 before singles matches got underway.
Paunovic had an efficient 6-3, 6-0 win from the No. 2 spot and from the No. 3 spot Russell tacked on another point with her 6-2, 6-2 victory. Hannah successfully claimed the last point for the Cougars in a 6-3, 6-0 win.
With three matches remaining in WSC competition Canyons will now look to move its streak to 10, when it hosts Antelope Valley at 2 p.m. Tuesday, March 15.
Full Results from Tuesday's match vs. Ventura are below:
- Villarta/Paunovic (COC) defeats Dever/Zegers (VC) — 9-7
- Hannah/Russell (COC) defeats Thompson/Volic (VC) — 8-2
- Heiber/Neal (COC) loses to Nguyen/McClain (VC) — 8-3
- Ashley Villarta (COC) loses to Hanna Dever (VC) — 6-7-4, 3-6
- Lexi Paunovic (COC) defeats Victoria Zegers (VC) — 6-3, 6-0
- Jennifer Russell (COC) defeats Iskra Volic (VC) — 6-2, 6-2
- Lauren Neal (COC) loses to Elizabeth Nguyen (VC) —1-6, 3-6
- Hannah Heiber (COC) loses to Alyssa McClain (VC) — 0-6, 1-6
- Lauren Hannah (COC) defeats Tonya Thompson (VC) — 6-3, 6-0